Friday, May 18, 2012

Ask and You Shall Receive!!

Our community changed their siding colors in January 2012 which meant that anyone building a home afterwards would have to choose from the current colors.  Right? The building was very slow when we first started our house search in this community.  When we sat at the table in February 2012 to sign our purchase agreement, we made a quick decision on the exterior house colors.  We did not understand the impact of making this choice so quickly.  Originally, we chose island pearl siding with dover white trim, black door and shutters with the aspen stone.  After viewing many sites on the blog and driving around in the neighborhood, I noticed the house would be much lighter.  I discussed our options with the SR.  She told us, "if I wanted to keep our black door and shutters, we only had two options."  Autumn Beige or Silver Mist.  I chose the Silver Mist.  I read to many horror stories about the Autumn Beige. 

In the meantime, all the houses in the community had the original colors.  The new home builders were choosing from the new colors, but no one had chosen Silver Mist.  So I had no reference to make a decision and I was concerned about choosing the wrong color.  I wanted a contrast that was darker than the Island Pearl.  The Stone Mountain Clay would have been perfect but I could not choose this color because it was already taken by our neighbor.

I put out a request in my earlier post--I asked if anyone had seen a house with the Silver Mist siding.  The Silver Mist has a grey under tone and the Island Pearl has a cream under tone.  Honestly, I did not think anyone could find it because I searched high and low on the blog and could not find it.  I was pleasantly surprised when I came home this evening and checked the blog and read KevinC's blog spot.  He literally drove around in his community and found us two homes with the Silver Mist.  His family is in North Carolina and we are in Maryland.  What a friend!!!  Thank you so much KevinC!  I am so pleased and I can finally stop worrying about the siding.  It is true blog family!  Ask and you shall receive!  Good night!

5 comments:

  1. We didn't mind at all. We totally understand how much better it is to actually see the colors on a home, instead of on a swatch. Seeing it in person makes such a difference. I like your color choices - it will make for a really nice looking home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are building a Ryan home and have chosen the silver mist siding with canyon shake and Aspen stone. We cannot find a house with this combo (we live in Ohio) and are worried about how it will look. Did you choose Aspen stone? If so, do you like it and do you have a pic of the finished exterior? I would love to see. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel, I have a nice picture of the Aspen Stone and I have a picture of the silver mist too! They both work very well together. These last few days, the silver mist and aspen stone have been on my mind so I have been looking at them a lot.

      What is your blog name so that I and others can follow your journey? Click on the join this site button to follow us. Click on the join this site and add this same button to your site.

      Delete
  3. No blog. I was googling silver mist siding and your posts came up. I never thought about blogging our journey. Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok. You may want to consider creating a blog for your journey because there is a wealth of information available to learn about the process. It's also useful to ask these type of questions and get feedback from other home builders. What type of model are you building and what state?

      Delete